Mom Boss Monday: Featuring Carlene Daniels of Tree of Life Holistic Home Care!
Carlene Daniels is a member of my networking group, Tri-State MAMApreneur Networking. She is a Mom, business owner, & I cannot wait for you to learn more about her & the work she does!
1) Name: My name is Carlene Daniels.
2) Where are you from: I am from Bergen County NJ.
3) What is your business? My company is Tree of Life Holistic Home Care. We are a new home health care agency providing caregivers, nannies, and respite care to children with special needs/disabilities, seniors, and their families across Northern/Central NJ. We folllow a holistic wellness model which emphasizes the need for mind, body, and spirit to be cared for in order to achieve optimal wellness. Care plans are personalized and things such as guided meditation, therapeutic crafts, and memory care are just some examples of activities that our awesome team of caregivers might implement with a client. We are currently in the process of getting in-network with various insurance plans so that we can add Certified Home Health Aide services to what we offer which is super exciting!
4) How did you get involved with it? My experience in the field of caregiving began as a nanny for neurotypical children as well as those who faced emotional, behavioral and cognitive challenges. I’ve always loved and felt honored to care for families’ littlest treasures! Once my grandmother (whom I lived with just about all my life) began receiving in home care services, I began to see where the pitfalls were in existing agencies. While we were fortunate to find a handful of caregivers who were amazing, there were various problems in how clients and staff were treated, miscommunication, hoops to jump through.. The list goes on! Since I could not find a company who held similar values and whose standards were up to mine, I decided to create one and thus: Tree of Life Holistic Home Care was born.
5) What are the biggest challenges you face in your business? One challenge we face is competing with larger franchises such as those that have TV commercials! Although, I know that our holistic mindset, personal touches, and compassion definitely set us apart. Plus, our focus is primarily in special needs/disabilities care, whereas other agencies treat this population as an afterthought at times.
6) How do you manage your time effectively? I use a baby wrap! Seriously, she loves to be in on the action so having her secure while my hands can be free is a lifesaver! I also do laundry first thing in the morning which has this power to ground me and motivate me for whatever the day may bring!
7) Tell us about a challenge you faced & overcame! One challenge I face especially in promoting my business, is being a bit reserved. I hate feeling like a salesperson, but I also want people to know about the services and support we provide! I’ve recently made it a point to reach out to 1 new entrepreneur a day and make a connection based on genuine mutual interests. I have an 11 day streak going and have met some wonderfully creative, knowledgeable and inspiring minds!
8) Who inspires you & why? My grandmother who passed this winter inspires me to work as hard as I can and do so with a smile! She was the strongest, most diligent person I’ve ever met. My daughter inspires me further to be this example of a loving yet fierce woman.
9) What do you do for fun? For fun I hang out with my daughter who hates to sleep! I make it a point to go for 2 walks with her everyday.. And now that the weather is nice, SWIMMING! We both love the water and I’m a beach girl so hoping she will be too.
10) What makes you a MOM BOSS? I am focused on making an impact to better the lives of everyday people and for my daughter to grow up realizing that there is always a bigger picture than ourselves. I think a real “mom boss” does what it takes to make sure people are taken care of and happy which is what we aim to do at Tree of Life and what I am to do an a personal level as well.
I loved learning more about Carlene. It is interesting & I find this a lot that we as women feel uncomfortable in promoting ourselves. If done in a genuine way, it is what we absolutely SHOULD be doing! But it is a process to get to the comfort level where we know we are not being overpowering or overbearing about it! And I love how Carlene tries to network daily based on genuine interest! You never know who you can meet or how it can be a fit or be helpful in the future!
If you missed last week’s Mom Boss Monday, check it out here!