Mom Boss Monday: Featuring Tara Geraghty of Making Cancer Fun!
Because September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month, I wanted to share with you a very special Mom & her story for this week’s Mom Boss Monday. Her personal story led to her creating her business, so she can help others. She is truly an inspiration & here is Tara’s story!
1) Name: Tara Geraghty
2) Where are you from: Monmouth County NJ
3) What is your business name/info? Making Cancer Fun (Minipoka Publishing)
4) How did you get involved with it? My daughter is a cancer survivor. I never intended to write a book let alone start a company. I have been in direct sales with Mary Kay Inc for 21 years and I love my business. However, after meeting more and more parents who were filled with fear and helplessness and knowing I had tips, tools and ideas that would help them I knew I needed to share them. For years people who had seen us go through childhood cancer said YOU HAVE TO WRITE A BOOK.
I kept saying no. When God puts a calling on your life though it will keep showing up until you say YES. When I finally did it was amazing to see the doors open up and the response from parents who started utilizing my book. It’s been amazing and I’m excited for what this next year is going to bring.
5) What are the biggest challenges you face in your business? At this point it’s finding the families that are affected by childhood cancer that would benefit from Making Cancer Fun.
6) How do you manage your time effectively? I love the ONE THING podcast. The concept of focusing on just ONE thing – THE THING – that will make the biggest difference in your business. I also have started using a HABIT tracking app to remind myself of the most important habits I want to create each day (some are personal like drinking enough water and reading daily and some are business focused like spending 15 min doing 3 key business focuses each day) And then as a single mom, most of the time I’m still winging it lol
7) Tell us about a challenge you faced & overcame! Getting my grove back after domestic violence and childhood cancer. It was a long 6 years between the two and I still find myself working to mentally and physically get “back” to the level of energy and focus I had before that. However, I’m also a lot more patient with myself, and realize I will never be that 29 year old naïve person again and there’s a gift in that.
8) Who inspires you & why? My daughter. She is the strongest bravest person I know. She overcame domestic violence AND childhood cancer by the time she was four! I mean really! She is also the most generous, intuitive, and thoughtful person I know. She will save her money all year to go on vacation and buy presents for everyone else. I’m in awe of her daily.
9) What do you do for fun? Stick me in the sand at a beach and I’m happy. I’m currently escaping to my local tiki bar on a regular basis and momentarily pretend I live on an island somewhere!
10) What makes you a MOM BOSS? Well as both the mom and the dad to my daughter I guess I’m just THE BOSS (much to her annoyance lol). Seriously though, I actually love the term MOM BOSS because the definition of “Boss” means the “one in charge”. Each of us is in charge of own lives. We aren’t in control of those around us, or are circumstances all the time. However, we are always in charge of our self. We are the boss of how we choose to respond to others. We are the boss of how we respond to our life choices. How we respond to our feelings, doubts and fears. And our power comes from being our life’s BOSS!